Friday, June 29, 2007

reflection #1

I find it interesting that creating this blog puts me in a similar position to the students I teach. I often tell students learning to search new databases that it's important to look at the computer screen closely to figure out how to search the database. Often all the information is available, it just takes time to see where all the functions of the database reside on the screen. As I began creating this blog, I realized I became frustrated that I not only couldn't find, but I didn't know, what I needed to complete the process. I also was frustrated that I wasn't able to do it quickly. It took time to search the screen, figure out what the different links were and to get it to do what I wanted it to do. We do live in a world where we want computer applications to be intuitive, but it's not always so.

1 comment:

LeslieB said...

I had a hard time getting mine formatted the way I wanted it, too, but just kept digging around until I found the function I needed.

I think part of being technology literate is being familiar with how these tools work in general, and then being able to figure out how to use the tool for the desired outcomes.

Todd L. is really good at teaching the tech component of writing and drafting, and he often mentions when they're learning the databases that they'll need to be able to sit down with a tool like that and figure out how it works even if they all look different and act differently.